• Du musst dich registrieren, bevor du Beiträge verfassen kannst. Klicke auf Jetzt registrieren!, um den Registrierungsprozess zu starten. Registrierte User surfen werbefrei, können Suchen durchführen und sehen die volle Darstellung des Forums mit vielen anderen Unterforen!!!

Lamb leg Low&Slow

Nerevar

Putenfleischesser
Some days ago, I found this lamb leg (1.3 kg) in my supermarket and I decided to cook it.

coscio1.jpg

Looking on the internet, I found two ways of grilling it: the first one is the one I found on an american website about barbecue that I'm following because they have lots of interesting recipes (bbqpitboys.com), they cook it in a smoker at 120°C in low&slow with water pan, and the second ways is in indirect grilling without water pan at 160-170°C for less time. I chose to follow the yankees, and I grilled my lamb leg in a low&slow way, smoking it with apple wood chips that resulted very very good for smoking the lamb, even if in the istructions of my bag of chips Weber advise against using apple for lamb, that's not true.

I prepared it only with rub. I didn't remove fats from this leg because I want them to melt slowly during my cooking. I followed the bbqpitboys recipe nearly to the letter, except for the rub. They use a rub called SPG Seasoning Rub, but I modified it a little bit because I didn't have dill seeds and coriander, so I made it in this way:
- 2 tbs black pepper;
- 1 tbs salt;
- 1 tbs granulated garlic;
- 1 tbs cumin;
- 1/2 tbs red pepper flakes.
I chose cumin because in cumin is hardly used with lamb in the arabian cookery, I love this way of seasoning the lamb, so I wanted to try it in my lamb leg, and it worked well.
I also made some little cuts in the flesh and pushed inside some pieces of garlic, as the recipe says.

Then, I pre-heated my Q1400 at 120°C, and I put my leg inside it.

coscio3.jpg

I filled the pan with beer, closed the lid, and let the leg smoke at 120°C for almost 2 hours.
In this recipe, the pit boys remove the lamb from the smoker when it reaches 52°C in the heart. I thought 52°C in the heart was too low, so I decided to remove this leg when it reached 58°C. This was how it looked at the end of my cooking:

coscio4.jpg

I wrapped it in the foil for 30 minutes, then I opened the foil and started my dinner.
Right, now my opinions.
This is a very very good way of cooking a lamb leg, the meat was very soft and juicy, we could taste the smoking flavour of apple wood. SPG seasoning is a very strong rub, It covered a little bit the taste of lamb, especially when we ate the external part of the meat; indeed, when it was mixed with a lot of meat, it tasted very good. Garlic pieces inside, in my opinion, are too strong.
I think next time I will try it without garlic pieces inside and with a less strong rub, such as my personal rub.

The real problem, in my opinion, was the level of cooking. 58°C in this piece of meat was like doing it in a rare-medium rare way. Inside, especially near the bones, the meat was still cooked rare. I know that if you talk with chef Gordon Ramsay he says that lamb must be done medium rare, even great Italian chefs use to cook lamb medium rare, but in my personal opinion the taste of lamb cooked rare is very good, but is a little bit heavy to eat.

I solved this problem in a simple way: re-heated my Q at maximum level and cooked the pieces of lamb directly on the grill until they were cooked medium.
I think that 58°C in the heart is too low for lamb, especially for big pieces of meat. Next time I will try to reach 65°-69°C in the heart. What do you think about it?

lamb.jpg

In the meantime I prepared some pieces of "Polenta" on the grill. This is an easy preparation, here in Italy we eat a lot of polenta: after boiling some cornmeal, I let the polenta become cold, then I cut it in some rectangular pieces, covered them with a little bit of olive oil and grilled them directly on the grill at maximum level for 8-10 minutes each side. Simply and good.
polenta 1.jpg

polenta2.jpg

polenta3.jpg

Anhänge

• coscio1.jpg
    coscio1.jpg
    108,3 KB · Aufrufe: 390
  • coscio3.jpg
    coscio3.jpg
    121 KB · Aufrufe: 330
  • coscio4.jpg
    coscio4.jpg