• Du musst dich registrieren, bevor du Beiträge verfassen kannst. Klicke auf Jetzt registrieren!, um den Registrierungsprozess zu starten. Registrierte User surfen werbefrei, können Suchen durchführen und sehen die volle Darstellung des Forums mit vielen anderen Unterforen!!!

Interview Steven Raichlen

Admin

BOFH
Teammitglied
20+ Jahre im GSV
Bitte Fragen und Anregungen Deinerseits hierher.

Last call

Was glaubst du ist ein typisch deutsches Grillgericht?

Was hältst du von American Beef? (oder arbeitet ein Raichlen auch mal mit deutschem Fleisch?)
Warum sind deine Gewürze so teuer :-))
Wann erscheint dein nächstes Buch?
Welches deiner Bücher hältst du persönlich für dein bestes?

Steve R 4 024a.jpg

cactusSteve_3.jpg

What do you think are the actual trends in grilling and bbqing this year?

People are paying more attention to the food they put on their grills, and ultimately, their tables. Grass-fed versus corn-fed beef. Wild versus farmed salmon. Locally-raised seasonal vegetables versus produce from other states or countries.

There is renewed interest in grilling with wood: It has become the fuel of choice for many grillers, including myself. Of course, in Germany, you are great beech wood grilling enthusiasts on your Schwenkbratens.

Also, the “globalization” of grilling also seems to be underway, driven not only by curiosity about how other grilling cultures have evolved, but by the availability of imported vegetables, spices, condiments, etc. Planet Barbecue 24-7! (And my book is being translated in German, French, and Dutch this year.

It’s a very exciting time for practitioners of live-fire cooking.

Being so busy working, writing and filming, how often do you grill at home?

When I’m not traveling, I usually grill three to five times a week.

What devices/grills do you own and use at home?

Between my winter and summer homes and my Barbecue University school, I own roughly 60 grills—charcoal and gas grills, of course. But also smokers, a kamado-style ceramic cooker, a wood-burning grill/oven, and tabletop grills. Recently, I added an Indian-style tandoor to my collection.

Do you prefer wood, charcoal or charcoal briquettes for grilling?

I prefer wood, followed by natural lump charcoal. That being said, briquettes are a dependable fuel and are popular among competition cooks. And I even own and use gas grills for quick weeknight meals.

What is the main aspect a newbie should consider for bbq?

Don’t be intimidated: Learn how to control the fir, not have it control you. Remember not to overcrowd the grill. (Leave 30 percent of the grate food free as a safety zone. It’s also important to learn several techniques for determining when food is done. Finally, remember, there’s a difference between grilling and burning!

What is your advice for a very quick meal from the grill?

Here’s a menu from my book, Planet Barbecue (Workman, 2010): shrimp sprayed with olive oil and wine; garlic bread; Cambodian grilled corn; and for dessert, Brazilian rotisseried pineapple. The pineapple actually takes the longest, but you can shorten the time by grilling slices instead of the whole pineapple. In general, anything that can be direct grilled is quick—chicken breasts, pork tenderloin, steak, fish fillets, etc.

What's your favorite dish from the grill?

Like a parent asked to pick a favorite child, I cannot do it. However, I always look forward to what I call “Caveman T-bones”—thick steaks cooked directly in the embers and served with an incendiary combination of sliced jalapeno peppers, garlic, olive oil, and cilantro. In the summer at our house on Martha’s Vineyard (in the Northeastern United States on the Atlantic Ocean), my wife and I also enjoy local line-caught swordfish with capers and a simple tomato salad.

Is there any dish you really hate to make?

I can’t say I hate to make anything. I’ve run into some challenges, though.
In Azerbaijan, I encountered grilled ice cream and skewered and grilled mashed potatoes—what I like to call “knish on a stick”: It took several attempts to successfully replicate them at home.

Now finally, let's take a look into the future. What major plans do you have in the next years? Please tell us what we can expect from you.

I’m currently researching and writing a new book about cooking (and drinking) for men—our rituals, our recipes, the camaraderie and even competitions certain foods inspire. Perhaps German men have something that is uniquely theirs. I would welcome any suggesti

Anhänge

• Steve R 4 024a.jpg
    Steve R 4 024a.jpg
    27,5 KB · Aufrufe: 1.574
  • cactusSteve_3.jpg
    cactusSteve_3.jpg
    28,3 KB · Aufrufe: 1.368
Besonders gut gefällt mir der Satz bei der Newb-Frage: "Learn how to control the fire, not have it control you". Sollte man als Motto festpinnen. Das ist nämlich die Grundvorraussetzung, und das muß man halt wirklich erst lernen. Bei mir klappts heute immer noch nicht bei allen Vergrillungen.

Klasse Interview, Admin. Danke für die Umsetzung der User-Fragen :thumb2:

Ich habe das Gefühl, dass dies die beste Neuerung 2011 sein könnte ;)

60 Grills sind ja schonmal eine Ansage, ich kann mir nicht vorstellen, dass der Mann nicht grillen kann, wie hier schon manchmal erzählt wurde. Es ist immer gut, sich die andere Seite der Medaille anzugucken...

Super!

:prost:

Wobei mir gerade auffällt, dass er einige Fragen wegelassen hat...

Klasse Interview, Admin. Danke für die Umsetzung der User-Fragen :thumb2:

Wobei mir gerade auffällt, dass er einige Fragen wegelassen hat...

--> Da kann ich nur zustimmen. Meine Fragen waren wohl zu schlecht....und ich frage mich, warum ich mir da was überlegt habe....:thumbdown: ich finde es blöd, wenn Leute nur das beantworten, was ihnen in den Kram passt.

Oder sind die Fragen von mir gar nicht gestellt worden???

Gruß
Festus

Insgesamt sehr interessantes Interview. :thumb2: Vielen Dank. Was mich noch interessieren würde ist, wie es geführt wurde ? Hast du ihn persönlich getroffen oder wurden ihm die Fragen per mail o.ä. gestellt ?

--> Da kann ich nur zustimmen. Meine Fragen waren wohl zu schlecht....und ich frage mich, warum ich mir da was überlegt habe....:thumbdown: ich finde es blöd, wenn Leute nur das beantworten, was ihnen in den Kram passt.

Oder sind die Fragen von mir gar nicht gestellt worden???

Gruß
Festus

Sorry, hatte natürlich nur nach meinen Fragen geguckt... dass keine Deiner Fragen in der Auswahl gelandet ist, ist natürlich schade...

Schön, Elmar,

Danke für die Umsetzung

sag doch mal bitte was zum zeitlichen Ablauf. Mail gesendet am... Antwort erhalten am ...

Ich frag, weil bei mir die USA Korrespondenz grad ein bißchen länger dauert :grin:

Grüße
Thomas

Tolles Interview. Danke!!!

Anhang anzeigen 163973

There is renewed interest in grilling with wood: It has become the fuel of choice for many grillers, including myself. Of course, in Germany, you are great beech wood grilling enthusiasts on your Schwenkbratens.

Hallo,

ich wußte ja daß er mal im Saarland war (kein Scherz). Aber das ihn das so nachhaltig beeindruckt hat hätte ich nicht gedacht

Viele Grüße,
Gerhard

Insgesamt sehr interessantes Interview. :thumb2: Vielen Dank. Was mich noch interessieren würde ist, wie es geführt wurde ? Hast du ihn persönlich getroffen oder wurden ihm die Fragen per mail o.ä. gestellt ?

Ich habe ihn damals auf der SPoga gefragt, der war ja auch an unserem Stand und die Fragen gingen ihm per Email zu.

Zurück
Oben Unten