• Du musst dich registrieren, bevor du Beiträge verfassen kannst. Klicke auf Jetzt registrieren!, um den Registrierungsprozess zu starten. Registrierte User surfen werbefrei, können Suchen durchführen und sehen die volle Darstellung des Forums mit vielen anderen Unterforen!!!

My first 3-2-1 Ribs!

Nerevar

Putenfleischesser
Hi dear friends,
This evening I decided to try my first 3-2-1 Ribs with my Q1400, and the result was very very good.

First, after trimming my ribs, I covered them with a little bit of mustard and Magic Dust Rub.
One night in the fridge and then I prepared my barbecue to grill:
1.jpg

Then I prepared the Apple wood Chips:
2.jpg

And then I started phase n°1 with my Ikea Rib Rack on the grill and the wooden chips under the grill:
3.jpg
This phase was grilled all between level 1 and level 2, my thermometer read between 95°C and 125°.
4.jpg

Now I have the first question:

During this phase I encountered a little problem. My smoking chips, after 3 heating cycles, started burning. The wooden chips were in flames, so I decided to took them away with a clamp and I extinguished fire in a basin full of water. This happened two times.

Now, I don't know if this is a normal thing or it is my fault. I know that my Q1400 is near a window were the wind blows through the barbecue. This could be one cause. The other cause it's because I'm afraid of smoking too much and when it started smoking I started to ventilate it with a plate to let the smoke go away. Do you think it's better not to do it? Why did the wooden chips started burning?

Ok, after my problems, I started phase n°2 after 3 hours of the first phase.
I put my ribs in a roasting pan filled with apple juice and apple winegar 2:1 and cooked them for two hours at 110°.
5.jpg

This was after phase 1, and then the ribs in the pan:
6.jpg

After two hours, I removed the ribs from the pan and grilled them directly on my Q1400 at 120° for 1 hour with the lid closed.
Before the last 30minutes I covered them with Barbecue Sauce.
7.jpg

And this is my result. Accidentally, I took this photo with a wrong light, so the crust seems to be black. Indeed it was coloured of a very good bordeaux crust.
8.jpg

Now, opinions:
In my opinion they were very good. The meat was very soft and juicy, perfectly served with a red beer (sorry, german friends, it was an English one :()
After the firs bite, I added a little bit of salt. In my opinion they lacked a little bit of salt.
My girlfriend says they were perfect.

What do you think about my first ribs?
Can you solve my little flaming problem?

Byebye!:kugel:

Anhänge

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    142,6 KB · Aufrufe: 680
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    149,7 KB · Aufrufe: 683
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    103,4 KB · Aufrufe: 657
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    64,7 KB · Aufrufe: 677
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    93 KB · Aufrufe: 642
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    109,3 KB · Aufrufe: 645
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    78,1 KB · Aufrufe: 661
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    99,9 KB · Aufrufe: 612
You have to water the woodchips and wrap them completely in aluminumfoil (doublelayer is better),
then add a few holes with a toothpick.
With these littles holes, there can't be to much air and they won't burn.

Nice Ribs. :sun:

I usually water the Wood Chips for a few hours before Smoking.
(like described from PJM2880)

I usually have in Phase 1 only at about 1,25 temperature (not between 1,5 like on your photo)

:prost:

@PJM2880 I think that the problems were my holes in the aluminium foil. I made them with a pen :o not with a toothstick...

I watered the wood chips for 2 hours. Is it enough?

Watering for 2 hours should be enough.

More important are imho the holes.
if they are smaller, there's less air and it won't burn.

Also, wrap the aluminum foil doublelayer, that will also help.

Good luck for the next time

I used two aluminium foil ;) but I think the holes were too big, a pen's diameter is too much.
Next time I will try with a toothstick.

Thank you guys

Zurück
Oben Unten