• Du musst dich registrieren, bevor du Beiträge verfassen kannst. Klicke auf Jetzt registrieren!, um den Registrierungsprozess zu starten. Registrierte User surfen werbefrei, können Suchen durchführen und sehen die volle Darstellung des Forums mit vielen anderen Unterforen!!!

My first Asado de Tira attempt (with Chimichurri sauce)...and the second attempt!

Nerevar

Putenfleischesser
This evening I tried to grill my first Asado de Tira on my Weber Q1400, a special grill recipe from Argentina.
In Italy is not easy to find this kind of flesh, it's the first part of the beef ribs but is cut horizontally like in this picture.
TIRA-ASADO.jpg

I didn't find it as the Argentinian tradition says because I searched for this cut in the supermarket. I think that a butcher can cut me the ribs in the Argentinian way. By the way, I found something similar, the last part of the ribs with a little part of the belly, rich in fat so I decided to grill this as the Asado recipe says.

First, I prepared the Chimichurri sauce, a sauce that Argentinian people always use with the asado, two days ago. You can find the recipe on the internet, it's very famous.

Today, I started my Asado.
First, I used some Pecan wood chips to smoke the beef ribs directly on the grill at the maximum power, just to cauterize the beef surface to let the juice stay inside the flesh.
1.jpg
2.jpg

After this part (at least 15minutes) I switched my Weber Q weel to medium power and put the ribs in indirect grilling with a water pan, just to reach a temperature between 150°C and 170°C. I grilled the beef until the internal temperature was 75°-77°C, turning it over three or four times.
5.jpg
3.jpg

After 45minutes of cooking, I returned a little bit directly on the grill with my ribs (5minutes) and the dinner was served after covering it with chimichurri sauce (I don't have any photo of my sauce, sorry). This is the result:
6.jpg

Well, now my opinions.
I feel that this cut was too much thick. I think the real Asado is thinner, because they cooked it indirectly on the grill and it must became soft and juicy. My beef was still a little bit hard. Good, because is a very tasty cut of beef and the sauce was wonderful with the smoking taste, but still hard to chew.
I think this is because the cut is not perfectly the one used for Asado de Tira (I will find it from a butcher next time) and because the internal temperature must be different.
I read there are two kind of ways of cooking the asado on a normal grill (because in Argentina grillers use a strange kind of cross wich stands near to the fire for hours). The first one is using an indirect grilling like I did, but I think that in this way flesh must be cooked a lot or not so much (I read somewhere somebody says to grill the Asado until 57°C at the heart). The second one is to use an aluminium foil after the direct grilling phase, and let the Asado rest inside for at least 2 hours at 120-130° in the grill. In this way I'm afraid it could be too much cooked (it reaches 90° in the heart as in a low&slow grill).
I must discover the perfect way of cooking my Asado.

Anhänge

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    89,1 KB · Aufrufe: 1.471
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    77,1 KB · Aufrufe: 1.659
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    74,2 KB · Aufrufe: 1.262
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    83,7 KB · Aufrufe: 1.272
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    88,3 KB · Aufrufe: 1.286
Cool :gnade::gnade::gnade: !

In case you have enough space in your grill grate free you can use wood chunks on the top of your grill grate for smoking flavour - it's just easier -> no need of alu foil, no "handicraft work" under the grate.

Greeting to Italy from almost 40' C Germany

Hi @Durchbrenner ! even here it's almost 40°c, we are melting like ice cream under the sun.

How can I do smoking with wood chunks on the grate? Can you show me some pictures?

Nice Beef ribs. :thumb2:

:prost:

Hi Nerevar,

what I forgot to say: your thread is documted excellently - text and fotos !!!

Here is a photo of my wood chunk bag from weber wood chunks (I took mesquite). I don't have a foto of a wood chunk while it's used, but just imagine it' more black :D

Nice greeting to Italy
woodchunks.jpg

Anhänge

• woodchunks.jpg
    woodchunks.jpg
    156,8 KB · Aufrufe: 1.084
... just put one wood chunk on your grill grate (at the margin) and start - no watering - very easy

Esattamente ;)

Wood chunks as alternative to wood chips.

The only problem could be: not enough space on the grill grate (or a family who doesn't like smoke flavour :D)

Perfect. I bought two bags of weber wood chips one month ago :D
Before buying a bag of wood chunks, I will try another way. I will put the aluminium foil above the grill (not between the grill and the resistance) and see what happens. I will try to simulate the weber smoking box.
Altough I will buy some wood chunks

Today I made an experiment. I bought a little metallic net and I used it to support some wood chips (not watered before the experiment).
I switched on my Q1400 and set the temperature at maximum level. Chips started smoking after 10-15 minutes of heating.
legni.jpg

This was an experiment, off course I will use more chips if I want to smoke my food, but I think it was enough for me to understand that I can use wood chips above the grill like wood chunks to smoke food.
But I also have some questions:
1) Chips took so long to started smoking, so I'm afraid It won't be easy to smoke with this method when I grill using indirect grilling or low&slow grilling because in low temperature levels the thermostat always switchs on and off the heat to mantain 110° (example). Am I right? Will the chips burn the same or it's better to use a foil between the grate and the resistance for indirect grilling and this method for direct grilling?
2) Does wood chunks take 10-15 minutes to smoke like wood chips?
3) Do I need to water wood chips if I use them above the grate?

Can somebody explain me this method?
Thank you guys :gnade:

Anhänge

• legni.jpg
    legni.jpg
    105 KB · Aufrufe: 1.100
Hi Nerevar,

1. You are right, i think for low and slow you have to put your chips in a bag under the grate.
2. Chunks will take a little more time until they start smoking
3. watered chips just take more time to start smoking, so you don´t need to water them.

All right, yesterday I tried a new attempt.
Premise: before this attempt I read a lot on the internet about how to grill the "Tira" (= beef ribs) on the grill (Asado means grilling in Argentina, it's a kind of barbecue made with different kind of grate, they use a kind of grate that has not a circle section in his part but a V section, as I could understand). I found almost everything about doing Asado de Tira.
It's a mess, American or English people has lot of ideas about doing them but everything seems similar to a low and slow grill and I don't think Argentinian people grills their Tira like an American low&slow.
On youtube I saw lot of videos about Asado de Tira, and every video shows a griller that puts his Tira directly on the Asado (the grate) almost at 15-20 cm on the embers: somebody says it must cook for long time, somebody says for short time like a medium-rare steak.
Another Italian Barbecue site shows another way of grilling the Tira (it's very interesting, it's one of the most important Italian site about grilling, you can read it here but is only in Italian :(). It's authors use to grill the Tira in two times: first directly on the grill to close the pores, and then in the foil for two-three hours: in this way they says the Tira can cook in it's liquid, and the temperature inside the foil can never be higher than 120°C whatever temperature y1 ou set on your bbq. Not true.

So I bought almost 1kg of Asado the Tira, this time I think the thikness was right, but It isn't stil the right cut. It's something similar but It's still too much belly and not much rib bones.
But It was good.
I dried it with an absorbent paper, brushed them with olive oil and rub them with only salt.
5.jpg

Then directly on the grill 3 minutes each side, maximum temperature with the lid closed under a little smoke of pecan wood. After this passage in the foil at level 3 of my thermostat.
4.jpg

3.jpg

The result was AWFUL.
I don't know why, my Q1400 almost carbonized the Tira. I don't know if was because the temperature was too high (Do you remember that the Italian site told me that was the same because inside the foil temperature stays still at 120°C due to flesh fluids?) or if the foil was not wrapped perfectly and the fluids evaporated.
I threw one of the pieces of Tira in my trashcan, the other one was eatable but It's taste was not good.

Indeed, the other attempt was simply fantastic.
After removing the foil and let them rest for a while, I re-heated the Q1400 at maximum level with the lid closed for 10 minutes.
Then I opened the lid and started my direct grill with the lid opened, because I wanted the Tira to cook only from the direct heat and not to use the convection effect of the lid closed.
Almost 4-5 minutes each size. Very very fast.
2.jpg

The smell of this kind of beef belly was very very good.
Cooking in this way is very easy.
The result was something like a medium rare steak, but with the taste of lot of fat contained within the Tira cut was very tasty.
In the next picture you can see the difference between the awful piece grilled inside the aluminium foil and the other two pieces grilled in the second way.
Not even comparable. One was dog food (in this picture I cut this one to taste it before removing the others from my bbq), the other two were fantastic.
1.jpg

0.jpg

This time I was very satisfied. I think this is the best way to cook an Asado de Tira on weberQ1400.
It's very easy, It's even a good recipe to offer to some guests due to his easyness.

And now, as the Argentinian tradition says, after the Asado...
Applause to the Asador (=griller)!

Anhänge

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    44,2 KB · Aufrufe: 1.011
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    64,4 KB · Aufrufe: 943
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    59,6 KB · Aufrufe: 969
  • 3.jpg