• Du musst dich registrieren, bevor du Beiträge verfassen kannst. Klicke auf Jetzt registrieren!, um den Registrierungsprozess zu starten. Registrierte User surfen werbefrei, können Suchen durchführen und sehen die volle Darstellung des Forums mit vielen anderen Unterforen!!!

First Brisket!

Nerevar

Putenfleischesser
Good Evening German friends (all watching Deutschland - Ukraine, i suppose :D, I'm waiting for Italy-Belgium 0-3 of tomorrow evening), today was an awful sunday here on the seaside so I decided to have my first Brisket.

This was my piece of meat: 1.7 kg of Rinderbrust (did I use the right word?) in english, Brisket. I got only one problem: my butcher take off too much fat from the surface of my meat.

20160611_124752.jpg

I covered it with mustard, magic dust rub, and let it rest for 24h in my fridge.
Today at 7:15 AM I started smoking my Brisket with Oak wood chips. The roasting pan was full of beer.
I smoked my Brisket for 2 hours (time of effective smoking was about 78 minutes), and during this phase the internal temperature of the meat increased from 10°C to 58°C in just two hours of cooking at temperatures between 100°C and 125°C.
In these photos you can see the Brisket at the beginning, smoke coming out of my Weber Q1400, and Brisket at the end of the Stall.
20160612_071521.jpg
20160612_074726.jpg
20160612_135838.jpg

My stall phase started approximately at 10:15 AM, at 65°C inside the meat. It last untill 13:15 (67°C) when I decided to wrap my Brisket in the foil (the one americans call Texas Crutch). I decided to do this due to two reasons: first, I thought that I would not have my meat ready for 8:00 PM, when my parents would come to dinner at my house, and second I let my Brisket have a little bit of stall because I wanted to have a little bit of Bark. Maybe too much time, in my opinion.
During all this period (smoking + stall) I always mopped my Brisket with a mixture of beer, apple winegar, salt, sugar and pepper flakes. One mop sauce application every hour.
So, I started the foil phase.

20160612_140302.jpg

This phase lasted from 14:00 to 18:40. In 4 hours my Brisket raised its internal temperature from 67°C to 95°C.
Brisket ready. Then I let it rest inside my oven at 75°C until my parents came to my house for dinner.
This was the result (the photos are not good, my phone camera sucks).

20160612_201057.jpg

All right, what can I say?
Bark was perfect: smoky and spicy. As I expected.
Maybe there was not a good aesthetic result, I didn't obtain a good smoking ring, but the food was smoky so I think that I reached my goal, or not?
I read on this forum some speaks about the difficulties of obtaining the smoking ring using an electric grill, what can you tell me about it?

Another thing is that the meat was a little bit dried in the lateral parts. In the center was perfectly juicy, but in the lateral parts was dried, but still soft and beefy. I don't know if this little mistakes were caused by: 1) too much time of cooking during the stall period before using the foil; 2) not enough fat on the surface of my brisket even if I mopped it steadily; 3) maybe the cut was too thin in the lateral parts. I don't know. Can somebody explain me this thing?

Anyway, I cut Brisket in slices, and we ated our meat with one barbecue sauce I made, a little bit similar to the McDonald's barbecue sauce, Coleslaw and mashed potatoes.
I use the dried lateral parts to have a sandwich similar to a pulled pork made with beef.

It was all very good. And Germany has just beated Ukraine, so I hope that you will have a happy night.
Tomorrow is Italy's turn:patsch:

PS: In my opinion, Pulled Pork and Smoked Ribs are much better than Brisket.

20160612_201152.jpg

Anhänge

• 20160611_124752.jpg
    20160611_124752.jpg
    168,3 KB · Aufrufe: 959
  • 20160612_071521.jpg
    20160612_071521.jpg
    228,6 KB · Aufrufe: 971
  • 20160612_074726.jpg
    20160612_074726.jpg
    205,1 KB · Aufrufe: 965
  • 20160612_135838.jpg
    20160612_135838.jpg
    302 KB · Aufrufe: 1.021
  • 20160612_140302.jpg
    20160612_140302.jpg
    212,8 KB · Aufrufe: 924
  • 20160612_201057.jpg
    20160612_201057.jpg
    125,6 KB · Aufrufe: 942
  • 20160612_201152.jpg
    20160612_201152.jpg
    116,5 KB · Aufrufe: 933
It is always a pleasure to see what you produce on this E-Grill.

Very well done :-)

mmh - looks delicious - I wish I was there (not on the grill:-))
Each of your grillings described so precisely:worthy:
:prost:

My brisket didn't have a good smoke ring :( (sorry for my photos but I used my phone that doesn't have a good camera) I read here in this forum that is not very easy to obtain the smoke ring with an electric grill. Does somebody know why?

About this argument, I also read on the website amazingribs (one of my favourites) that the smoke ring is only one aestethic question, because it can appear and it cannot appear, it depends on multiple variables such as humidity, fat amount inside the meat, ecc...In fact, as I said, I think my brisket was good because it was juicy, tasted good and beefy and we could also taste a good smoking flavour even without the smoking ring. I think that if I had obtained even the smoking ring this rinderbraten would have been nearly perfect :D Next time I will try to obtain also the smoking ring, but with a pulled pork, because I like it more than brisket :grill:

Looks good... :thumb2:

The smoke ring (comes mostely of the salt) is not so important.

:prost:

I suggest another rub.

The high amount of sugar in MD rub goes great with pork, salmon or even with fries.

But when it comes to beef, you should try something else. Sth completely without, or just a little bit of sugar in it.

Texas dalmation (half salt, half black pepper) is old, but gold :D

A bit more subtle rub is Meathead Goldwyn's beef rub:

3 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 teaspoons mustard powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons chili or ancho powder
1 teaspoon chipotle or cayenne powder

Fits any beef roast, beef ribs, pastrami and even steaks :thumb2:

When i'm cooking beef brisket, i usually use the dalmation rub.
Every other part of the cow gets a good rub with Meathead's stuff.

I will try all of your tips @Kloppo , it's true what you say, I tried beef with some rubs without sugar and the result was very good. I just don't know why, do you?

I just don't know why, DO you?

Don't know the science behind it, but my experience is that pork loves sweet stuff: candy bacon, ribs with packed brown sugar,...

Beef goes great with black pepper and other strong flavours.

Look at menus in chinese restaurants. Sweet-sour or peanut sauce ist mostly served with chicken and pork.
Beef is mostly served with chili-, garlic- or curry-based sauces.

I think it's because of the meats own flavours.
While pork has a soft and mild flavor, beef has a strong, nutty flavor. That circumstances have to be supported and highlighted by the matching rub-flavor.

Zurück
Oben Unten