• Du musst dich registrieren, bevor du Beiträge verfassen kannst. Klicke auf Jetzt registrieren!, um den Registrierungsprozess zu starten. Registrierte User surfen werbefrei, können Suchen durchführen und sehen die volle Darstellung des Forums mit vielen anderen Unterforen!!!

Two experiments on Beef Ribs (and a little Beef Chuck Roast)

Nerevar

Putenfleischesser
It seems that nobody is using his grill in this period. Come on guys, where are you?!?
After a long time since my last grilling, I'm posting my experience with beef ribs.
Some times ago I bought one rack of beef ribs. Beef ribs looks like a brontosaurus ribs, they are very large, with something like 5cm of flesh above each bone. My butcher cut 4 bones from the full rack, but they were too big for my Q1400, so i removed one bone and freezed it.
Looking in the internet I found two recipes, all of them in Low&Slow, in one I had to reach 95°C in the heart, the second one does not consider internal temperature and grill in Low&Slow for 4-5 hours (here it is).
These were my dino ribs:

beef ribs1.jpg

I covered it only with vegetable oil and my own Rub, because I didn't want to make something like american pork ribs. Then I prepared my grill for indirect cooking with a pan full of beer, temperature at 110°C-125°C and put my ribs inside, smoking them with Hickory wood chips for 2.5 hours.

beef ribs 2.jpg

When I stopped smoking, internal temperature was nearly 60°C, I waited until 67°C (another hour of cooking) then I decided to wrap my ribs in foil to avoid the stall and let them jump at 95°C in almost 2 hours of cooking.
When I finished this was the result:

beef ribs 4.jpg
beef ribs 5.jpg

Now, in this case I think I made some mistakes, because even if my ribs were perfectly cooked and very juicy, with a good smoking flavour, their taste was similar to beef ribs when I use them to make broth: they were boiled, not grilled. I was very disappointed.

Maybe I should have grilled them for a while directly on the grill, like 3-2-1 pork ribs, to let them dry a little?

However, today I tried the bbqpitboys recipe, with only a difference. They cook beef ribs without water pan, instead I used one. Same preparation, except for covering it with melt butter instead of oil. I had only one rib, so I also grilled a piece of beef chuck.
I smoked them with Pecan wood chips for 2.5 hours at 110-125°C. Everything like the first time. These are my two pieces of meat after 2.5 hours smoking:

roast3.jpg

Then I grilled them for another 2.5 hours, the last 30 minutes I removed the water pan and grilled them indirectly without water pan, and without wrapping them in the foil. Only indirect heat. During this time without smoking I mopped the roast (and only this one) with barbecue sauce. I did'nt mop the rib because I wanted to taste it with the same seasoning of the first time.
I reached 70°C in the heart of the roast, then I removed it and wrapped it in foil to recover some juices to use as seasoning.

roast7.jpg
roast8.jpg
roast9.jpg

As you can see in the cut, the result was completely different. First, the meat is not boiled but is grilled nearly well done. It was very juicy, with a very good smoking flavour (I think butter is better than oil to absorb smoking flavour) and this time I enjoyed the ribs very very much.
The only thing is the use of a water pan. I noticed that, when my chuck was 60°C, its temperature with water pan raised very very slowly. Indeed, without it, its temperature raised faster.
I don't know if it's just an occurrance, but next time I think I will try to grill my beef ribs in the same way of bbqpitboys: indirect heat, low&slow (110°-120°C), without water pan, only mopping the ribs every hour.

What do you think about it? Did somebody grill beef ribs in the past?

Anhänge

• beef ribs 5.jpg
    beef ribs 5.jpg
    113,4 KB · Aufrufe: 751
  • beef ribs 4.jpg
    beef ribs 4.jpg
    102,3 KB · Aufrufe: 695
  • beef ribs 2.jpg
    beef ribs 2.jpg
    80,3 KB · Aufrufe: 1.334
  • beef ribs1.jpg
    beef ribs1.jpg
    88,1 KB · Aufrufe: 1.211
  • roast3.jpg
    roast3.jpg
    83 KB · Aufrufe: 730
  • roast9.jpg
    roast9.jpg
    69,6 KB · Aufrufe: 693
  • roast8.jpg
    roast8.jpg
    75,2 KB · Aufrufe: 745
  • roast7.jpg
    roast7.jpg
    105,2 KB · Aufrufe: 675
I don't know. Foil is not a mistake to get the meat faster ready. I normaly Grill BeefRibs abaut 9 hours without foil.

It looks good and tasty.

Generli Beef has to be grilled 55- 65 degree or about 90 degree.

I agree with you about using foil, even because I'm always in a hurry when I grill, because I always start grilling before lunch and sometimes I don't have much time if I want to have my dinner at 8 o'clock.

First time my ribs were cooked at 95°C in the heart. I didn't like it, they taste like boiled meat. Second time the ribs was at internal temperature of 70°C, they were absolutely better. I need to try indirect grilling without water pan and your version, low&slow for 9-10 hours until they reach 90°C inside.
Internet doesn't seem to solve this question, because there are lot of version of beef ribs.

Zurück
Oben Unten