• Du musst dich registrieren, bevor du Beiträge verfassen kannst. Klicke auf Jetzt registrieren!, um den Registrierungsprozess zu starten. Registrierte User surfen werbefrei, können Suchen durchführen und sehen die volle Darstellung des Forums mit vielen anderen Unterforen!!!

Wings & potatoes

Smokinupnorth

Militanter Veganer
5+ Jahre im GSV
Here I am using a new to me accessory called the Vortex. It's a stainless steel cone that can create an indirect high heat environment perfect for wings and potatoes among other things. I started with the Vortex 3/4 of the full. In hind sight, I should have filled up only half way, the heat soon became quite intense as you will see below.

I used a started cube this time since the gas was empty on my Performer, and I wanted to use the time to prep the food.
smlflame.jpg

After about 15 minutes and placing the wings and potatoes around the perimeter of the grate, the coals were very ready.
lgflame.jpg

Took a quick temp read, maybe the coals were a little too ready. Perfect for a wok though :-)
hot1.jpg

I also tried my warming grate to see if that would be of any benefit. All it did of course was to cook the upper most potatoes quicker, which was not what I wanted, so I removed it. By the time I readjusted the bottom vents and removed the warming grate, the temps really took off, but were soon down to where I wanted them, about 650F.
over1k.jpg

lidtemp2.jpg

After 25 minutes though, I had the best wings and potatoes I've in a long time. Crispy skin and pull apart bones :P Using the Vortex also meant I didn't have to flip any of the food, not even once.

wing1.jpg

wing2.jpg

Wow, nice close up. looks delicious!

The Vortex looks quite like a chimney starter without handle.
Should be easy to copy and build at home :D
Does it work that way? Or is the bottom of the Vortex closed?

Thank you for the kind words.
Kinda like a chimney starter, but cone shaped. It's opened on both ends, the small end was on top for this cook. The wider end can fit a beer can chicken down into the cone, just place the coals around the outside. If you do a snake/minion ring, you go low and slow too.

Ah, i see.

It's comparable to the system used in the swiss outdoorchef gasgrills.
They use a device shaped like your vortex to cover or concentrate the power from the ring-shaped gasburner.
funnel = low & slow indirect cooking
volcano = high direct heat for e.g. steaks

Can you tell us something about the dimensions of this Vortex? Is that homemade?

Wonderful pictures! Tasty wings and potatoes!

Please tell uns more about the Vortex. Maybe some pictures?

Greetings
Carsten

The Vortex is a stainless steel cone that is about 5" in height, 8" in diameter on one side, and 12" in diameter on the other.
The designer of the Vortex can be found here: http://thunderdomebbq.com/search/vortex And his partner, Rich, is selling them here: http://madhunkymeats.com/opencart/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=65
Rich also has some tips on how to use it which can be found here: http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32571&highlight=vortex instructions

But I will paste the content of Rich's instructions for you:

PLEASE thoroughly burn out the Vortex before cooking on it.

INDIRECT*Vortex goes Wide-End up. Coals go around it. Roast goes directly over Vortex. The coals are lit on one end and snake/minion their way around the kettle. The Vortex shape acts as the deflector for direct heat which is different than snaking the coals w/o the Vortex.

INDIRECT EXAMPLE HERE

DIRECT:*Picture the back of a jet engine where the fire shoots out. Load up the Vortex. Get coals set. Throw a steak or chop directly over it for about a minute per side. It will have a very nice sear across the whole steak, not just where the grate marks are happening. The Maillard Reaction is able to occur across surface area of the whole steak/chop. Check out this article when you get a minute. Once seared on both sides. Move off to perimeter where steak/chop can INDIRECTLY come up to preferred temp.

DIRECT EXAMPLE HERE

INDIRECT-DIRECT:*This is what I've been describing the method used for chicken (wings, legs, thighs). This all started in an effort to get fried-like skin on my chicken wings without using a fryer. I wanted to make the perfect wings on a grill. The Vortex creates enough heat that is directed upwards then radiates around the kettle, that the chicken around the perimeter can get fried-like skin without getting the burn marks that happen when grilling chicken wings directly. The heat increases enough to crisp skin without any direct flame application. Not unlike setting your fire off to one side of your kettle, the only difference with the Vortex would be an even amount of heat for every piece around the perimeter as opposed to the ones closest to the fire. No need for rotating or extra flipping,

INDIRECT-DIRECT EXAMPLE HERE

I can weld basic steel, but I am not set up for welding stainless steel. So I bought mine rather than fabricate one on my own. Plus they aren't very expensive and I like the idea of supporting fellow grillers, especially when they have a great product :-)

Thank you!

It looks like a very good extra-epuipment.

Thanks! :-)

The hopper look like the same as the ODC system, its a great alternative to the coal baskets from Weber.

The hopper look like the same as the ODC system, its a great alternative to the coal baskets from Weber.
I'm not familiar with the ODC system, but I think the Vortex idea came from the charcoal basket on the STOK Grill system.
I too prefer a solid backed charcoal basket to the open wire ones too. Less chance for the porcelain enamel paint on the kettle to start spalling. You'll see a lot of that on older kettles where the coals were banked up against the wall of the kettle. A "Grill Fella" (like Good Fellas) friend in Australia used a damaged kettle to make a charcoal basket like this...
charBasket.jpg

And here's what it looks like after a year of use...
spallBasket.jpg

Zurück
Oben Unten