• Du musst dich registrieren, bevor du Beiträge verfassen kannst. Klicke auf Jetzt registrieren!, um den Registrierungsprozess zu starten. Registrierte User surfen werbefrei, können Suchen durchführen und sehen die volle Darstellung des Forums mit vielen anderen Unterforen!!!

Problem with Burgers

Nerevar

Putenfleischesser
Hi guys,

Please don't kill me, but I have some question for you, electric grillers, about beef burgers.
I've tried 2-3 times to grill burgers on my Weber Q1400, but I always overcooked them.
I don't know why, maybe I'm wrong with something: I will try to explain you what I would like to obtain when I cook burgers, even if is not easy to explain it in English, so I will add some pictures.

When I cook burgers in my kitchen, over gas cooker with a hot-plate, I always try to cook them rare. I use to let the plate become very very hot, because I want the burgers to have an immediate violent cooking so I can have a little crust outside, and then I cook them until I reach this spot:
IMG_1587.jpg

I love burgers when they are like this: crusty outside, and barely cooked inside, like a steak. Only rare cooking.

When I cook burgers on the Weber Q, I always obtain burgers overcooked like when you eat them at McDonald's.
When I tried to cook them I made these steps:
1) I always put my barbecue's thermostat at maximum power and let the bbq warm for at least 20 minutes;
2) I always oil the burgers surface with extra-virgin olive oil and rub them as I like;
3) When the temperature of the grate is very very hot, I throw burgers on the grill and cook them with the lid closed, turning them every 2-3 minutes;
4) I turn my burgers maximum 2 times per side, like I do on the hot plate on the gas cooker.

When I remove my burgers from the grill they always look like this:
Stout Burger Well Done Cross Section.jpg

And, if you look at this picture, it seems that the burger is juicy, even if it's very well cooked. My burgers are always dried.
I would like to try to cook them with the lid opened, because I thought that the lid closed can dry them and even add the convection temperature of cooking that is not good for burgers, but @Andrew91 just told me in his thread about burgers that he cooks burgers with the lid closed.

Now I don't know what to do to obtain rare cooked burgers with my electric bbq.
I'm afraid that cooking them with the lid opened will not be enough hot to cook beef, but I'm also afraid to overcook them with the lid closed. Maybe I should use a thermometer? Or there is something wrong in my procedure?

Please friends give me all the tips you want, I want to cook burgers!!! I have a lot of recipes to try!!!

Thanks!:D:D:D

Anhänge

• IMG_1587.jpg
    IMG_1587.jpg
    197,4 KB · Aufrufe: 764
  • Stout Burger Well Done Cross Section.jpg
    Stout Burger Well Done Cross Section.jpg
    147,2 KB · Aufrufe: 1.603
Have you tried to (half)freeze the patties before grillig?

@deka freeze the patties? o_O what do you mean? You mean that you put your burgers in the refrigerator for a while before cooking them?
When I'll download my photos I'll show you what I did today. I'm very near to my point.

I don't have any experiences with the Weber Q1400 but i suspect that it doesn't get as hot as your gas cooker or as a gas powered grill in general. Therefore the patties will be completely cooked on the inside before you get a crust.
You can try what was already mentioned: Don't close the lid. The heat won't accumulate so that the cooking process will be slowed. Freezing the patties is a good idea, too. That will slow the cooking process even more.
If that doesn't work it might be a possibility to use thicker patties but judging from your pictures they are already rather thick. So i'm not sury whether you could comfortably eat them without risking to dislocate your jaw.

Yep, put them half frozen on the grill.

@deka freeze the patties? o_O what do you mean? You mean that you put your burgers in the refrigerator for a while before cooking them?
No, don't put them in a refrigerator. Put them in a freezer and let them freeze completely. Then you put them on the grill when they are still frozen.

I trink that Don geilo and the order guys are right.

Lid open
Freeze pattys
Thicker pattys

Hast du schon versucht die Burger fullthrottle anzugrillen ~ 1 min/Seite und dann entkoppelt oder auf dem Warmhalterost bei niedrigster Temperatur auf deinen gewünschten Gargrad zu ziehen? Auf dem Q220 geht das sehr gut.

@DonGeilo and @PuMod So you mean you freeze your burgers before you put them on the grill? And you put them on the grill still freezed? Why?
And how much time do you cook them to obtain rare cook burgers?

My experiment today (without freezing burgers).
First I tried to understand the temperature of my desired level of cooking for one burgers on my gas cooker. It was 55°C in the heart

20160530_193403.jpg

Then I tried to cook my burgers on the Q1400, maximum level, lid closed, thermometer inside one of them. Bbq preheated for 30minutes.
Turned them every 2 minutes, last 2 minutes with cheese on the burgers.

20160530_203731.jpg

This is the result, 55°C in the heart.
Good result, but not what I wanted, they looks like a medium cooked burger. I want them RARE. Maybe next time I will try 45°C in the heart, or let me understand this technique with frozen burgers.

20160530_204812.jpg

Sorry for my photos, my new smartphone has a horrible camera =__=

Anhänge

• 20160530_193403.jpg
    20160530_193403.jpg
    118,3 KB · Aufrufe: 481
  • 20160530_203731.jpg
    20160530_203731.jpg
    99,8 KB · Aufrufe: 482
  • 20160530_204812.jpg
    20160530_204812.jpg
    144,4 KB · Aufrufe: 468
Yes, just give the burger about one minute each side on direct heat and full power and then lift it up on a warminggrate for about 2 or 3 minutes on low heat.
Got it? My english is not as good as it should be... :D

So you mean you freeze your burgers before you put them on the grill? And you put them on the grill still freezed? Why?
And how much time do you cook them to obtain rare cook burgers?
The reason is that i already have them in my freezer. When i want to eat burgers i don't always grind fresh meat. Instead i grind a few kg of meat at the same time, make pattys, and freeze them so that i have them ready when i need them.
Of course a frozen patty needs more time to be cooked. So your chances to get a rare patty with a crust a way better with a frozen patty.
The time needed depends on the grill and the cooking temperature. I'd say a few per side but that really depends. Maybe you'll have to try a bit.

@weschnitzbube you were perfectly clear ;)

@DonGeilo I got it. As you can see in my photos (I hope you can, the quality is not so good), I had crust on the sides of my burgers. But I think they were too cooked. Not overcooked, not dried, but I think my problem was the temperature inside: infact, I removed one of them at 50°C and it was better, I could see a little bit of pink in the heart. Next time I think I will do some experiments.

One with frozen burgers, one with the warmin rack like weschnitsbube says, and one removing them at 45°C in the heart...can it be a good experiment?

Yea, should work! I think both ways will give similiar results, try them and find out which you lile most :) let us know if it works for you :)

Zurück
Oben Unten